Step 4 – Our response is to receive Christ
Illustration by Andrew Wright
We must trust Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and receive Him by personal invitation.
The Bible says …
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:20
"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 1:12
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9
Where are you?
Will you receive Jesus Christ right now?
Here is how you can receive Christ:
1) Admit your need (I am a sinner).
2) Be willing to turn from your sins (repent).
3) Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave.
4) Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. (Receive Him as Lord and Savior.)
You can pray:
Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as Lord and Saviour. In Jesus' name. Amen.
God's assurance is his Word
If you have just prayed that prayer,
The Bible says …
"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:13
Did you sincerely ask Jesus Christ to come into your life? Where is He right now? What has He given you?
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
"He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:12-13
Receiving Christ, we are born into God's family through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer. This is called regeneration, or the "new birth."
This is just the beginning of a wonderful new life in Christ. To deepen this relationship you should:
1. Read your Bible everyday to know Christ better.
2. Talk to God in prayer every day.
3. Tell others about Christ.
4. Worship, fellowship, and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached.
5. As Christ's representative in a needy world, demonstrate your new life by your love and concern for others.
If you've just made this commitment to Christ, you will need further spiritual help and information about being a Christian.
Why not go now to Billy Graham's website: billygraham.org/grow-your-faith/topics/